Ripe orange nectarines add a colorful layer of flavor to this refreshing salad. Layers of greens, strawberries, feta cheese, green tomato, fresh basil, and glazed pecans make for an unbeatable summer salad.
- 4 large nectarines, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 3/4 cup Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing,
- 1 10-ounce package gourmet mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 4-ounce package crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large green tomato, diced*
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Glazed Pecans
- Toss nectarines with 1/4 cup Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Layer gourmet mixed salad greens, nectarines, strawberries, and next 4 ingredients in a large glass bowl.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 8 hours.
- Toss salad with remaining 1/2 cup dressing just before serving.
*1 1/2 cups halved miniature heirloom green tomatoes may be substituted.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Process vegetable oil, sugar, fresh lemon juice, poppy seeds, finely chopped onion, Dijon mustard, and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week; serve at room temperature.
- 2 cups pecan halves
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons dark corn syrup
- Stir together pecan halves, brown sugar, and dark corn syrup in a small bowl.
- Spread mixture in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or until glaze thickens, stirring every 4 minutes.
- Spread in a single layer on wax paper; cool completely, separating pecans as they cool. (For the prettiest garnish, leave some in clusters.)
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yield: Makes about 2 cups.