This showstopping stack has the same flavor profile as the original Hummingbird Cake recipe, and the cream cheese frosting is transformed into a lip-smacking Cream Cheese Anglaise to drizzle on top.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup drained, canned crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Cream Cheese Anglaise
- Garnishes: sliced bananas, chopped fresh pineapple
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and next 5 ingredients in another bowl.
- Gradually stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in toasted pecans.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot buttered griddle or large nonstick skillet.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked.
- Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until done.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes.
- Serve with Cream Cheese Anglaise.
- When using a griddle, heat it to 350°.
- For tender pancakes, don’t overmix the batter; it should be lumpy.