The ultimate recipe for Hummingbird Cake. It’s the most requested recipe in our Texas Nutshellers Recipes history and frequents covered dish dinners all across the South, always receiving rave reviews.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.