The nutty pastry is absolutely delicious, like pecan shortbread. You can make the tart shells and filling the day before and assemble just before serving: Place the shells in an airtight container and chill the filling, bringing it to room temperature before placing it in the shells so it’s not ice-cold. The crème fraîche dollop is more than just a pretty garnish; its rich, tangy flavor makes these sublime.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped toasted pecans
- Baking spray with flour
- 2 cups finely diced peeled Granny Smith apple
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed 1 minute or until well combined. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Add flour and nuts to butter mixture; beat until just combined.
- Divide dough evenly among 24 miniature muffin cups coated with baking spray.
- Press dough into bottom and up sides of muffin cups.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare filling, place apple and juice in a bowl; toss to coat.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and the next 4 ingredients (through ginger); toss well.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add apple mixture; cover and cook 5 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into apple mixture; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Place apple mixture in a bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons apple mixture into each tart shell.
- Top each tart with 1/2 teaspoon crème fraîche.