- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (12-oz.) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Stir together brown sugar and cornstarch; gradually add to butter, beating at low speed until well blended. Stir together flour and salt; gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Add vanilla and 1 cup pecans, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly greased baking sheet; pat or roll dough into an 11- x 14-inch rectangle, leaving at least a 1-inch border on all sides of baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack; sprinkle shortbread with chocolate morsels. Let stand 5 minutes; gently spread melted morsels over shortbread. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup pecans, and let cool completely (about 1 hour). Cut or break shortbread into 2- to 3-inch pieces.