Everything about this dessert makes it the top request for family gatherings and one of our favorite apple pie recipes. The delightful crust cuts beautifully to reveal a filling with pieces of diced apple. At harvesttime or any time, you cannot beat this delectable apple pie.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, pecans and butter; set aside 1 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a large saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in apples and vanilla.
- Pour into crust; top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 6-8 servings.