- 1 (6-ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (6-ounce) cod or tilapia fillets
- Canola oil
- Sweet-Hot Pecan Sauce
- Stir together cornbread mix and Creole seasoning until blended.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over fillets. Dredge fillets in cornbread mixture.
- Pour oil to depth of 4 inches into a large Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry fillets, in batches, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve with Sweet-Hot Pecan Sauce.
For testing purposes only, we used Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread Mix.
Sweet-Hot Pecan Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, chopped
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in pecans and next 4 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.