- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, plus extra for topping
- 6 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and honey until smooth. Add the vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Add the flour one cup at a time. Blending to combine after each addition. Once all the flour is combined, stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Use a spatula to spread batter evenly around pan. Score with a knife and poke with a fork.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Let cook on a wire rack at least 10 minutes before attempting to remove from pan. Once cooled, cut into pre-scored portions.
- While shortbread is cooling, melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 second blast, until smooth.
- Place the cut wedges on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, drizzle with melted chocolate. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top. Place baking sheet in the refrigerator until chocolate is firm, roughly 15 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut cookies free of any large chocolate drizzles. Store in an airtight container until serving.