- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 1 cup whole milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Sliced pecan pieces, for the “stems”
- Cinnamon Butter
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir the yeast, milk, sugar, butter, pumpkin, one egg, and salt until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour and knead on medium-low speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn off the mixer and let the dough rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Continue to knead the dough on medium-low speed for another 5 minutes, or until the dough is soft and smooth. If it seems too sticky, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a large greased bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces and shape into balls. Use the palm of your hand to flatten each ball slightly.
- With a pairing knife, cut 8 slices around each ball, being careful not to slice all the way into the center, to make the pumpkin shape.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Using the wooden end of a small utensil or your finger to poke an indentation in the center of each roll to create a space for the “stem.”
- In a small bowl beat the remaining egg with 2 teaspoons of water and brush all over the rolls.
- Bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place a sliced pecan piece into the indentation of each roll.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter for 30 seconds, or until pale in color.
- Add the powdered sugar, honey, and cinnamon and beat until well combined, light, and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately or store, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.