A quick dip in luscious caramel and a salty roll in finely chopped nuts turns fresh strawberries into a gourmet treat. Top picks: A ripe berry will have a shiny, deep red color from the tip of the berry to beneath the green cap. Check the carton from top to bottom for any damaged or moldy fruit—they’ll cause the others to deteriorate quickly.
- 20 large fresh strawberries
- 40 caramels
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Wax paper
- Pat strawberries completely dry with paper towels.
- Microwave caramels, 3 Tbsp. whipping cream, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 3 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring at 1-minute intervals.
- Dip each strawberry halfway into caramel mixture. Roll in nuts, and place on lightly greased wax paper. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 8 hours.
For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Caramels