Southern pecans and Cajun seasoning give this fried chicken its Southern accent.
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 2/3 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Pickled Okra Salsa
- Place chicken and buttermilk in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill 1 hour. Remove chicken from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk.
- Combine pecans and next 4 ingredients in a shallow bowl. Dip chicken in eggs; dredge in pecan mixture, shaking off excess. Arrange on a baking sheet. Pour oil to depth of 1 1/2 inches into a cast-iron Dutch oven or 12-inch (2 1/4-inch-deep) cast-iron skillet; heat to 350°. Fry chicken, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and chicken flakes with a fork. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve with Pickled Okra Salsa.
Note: We tested with Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning.
Pickled Okra Salsa
- 5 whole pickled okra, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, drained
- Pulse first 6 ingredients and half of tomatoes in a food processor 4 to 6 times or until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in remaining diced tomatoes. Serve immediately, or cover and chill.
- Store in refrigerator up to 7 days. If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving