- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 14 ounces caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted.
- Pour over baked brownie layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel layer; carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 2 dozen.